Sunday, October 9, 2011

red velvet waffles...and stuff



So, I'm like tired.

Actually, more like EXHAUSTED.

The past two weeks have kicked my butt and I feel like I could seriously sleep for months.

Months!

I'm too tired to spell out why I'm so tired, but I should let you know some, so here is my best stab at it:

I turned 25 (woot!) on September 26 and that whole week was a pure celebration of my life from my friends and family. It was fantastic!  A lot of cake, a lot of dancing, a lot of dinners, a lot of stuff. I loved every second of it--sleepless nights and all. Yet, by the end of the week I was done.

Also, I made my own birthday cake again this year. It was a dark chocolate cake with raspberry mousse filling and white chocolate cream cheese icing. Very different from last year's and just as delicious


Totally sliced into it before letting people add candles and sing to me...

After my birthday week, I then had a huge conference at work that basically had me working 12 hour days for about a week while always having to be "on".

You know--smiling, schmoozing, acting like you're not about to fall dead of exhaustion. That kind of thing.


I haven't been home for a full 24 hours yet and the thought of having to go to work tomorrow because I chose to take Veteran's Day as a holiday instead of Columbus Day, which is tomorrow, makes me want to cry.

Tear.


Anyways, these red velvet waffles were a request from my friend Joei of Urban Geek and I  figured I should give it a shot. I tried making them last week, but the recipe I used involved yeast and I simply did not like them. I tried a different recipe today and they are delicious! Tastes like cake.

I'm glad I had these today, they seriously made me so happy.   :)

SN: I need to stop eating my feelings.

I never had red velvet waffles or pancakes before, but I figured adding in cocoa powder, buttermilk, and some sort of cream cheese glaze makes them red velvet, right? Right.

That's what I did.


Anyways, so that's my story for the past two weeks. I  haven't even been able to blog surf properly or catch up on my celebrity gossip. I'll do that tomorrow. If I can keep my eyes open.

For now, I hop back into bed and sleep the rest of my one-day weekend away. Feel sorry for me today, will you?


  













Red Velvet Waffles
  • 2 cups flour ( I used AP, but I'm thinking that Cake Flour would be even better)
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2cups buttermilk or regular milk
  • 2 large eggs, separated
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla
  • 3 tbsp red  food coloring (I used gel coloring)


1. Sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt and whisk thoroughly

2. In another bowl beat egg yolks slightly. Stir in buttermilk and oil. Stir in red food coloring.

3. Add egg yolk mixture all at once to the dry mixture and stir thoroughly.

4. In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.

5. Fold egg whites into flour and egg yolk mixture.

6. Spoon waffle batter into your waffle iron and let cook.

7. Serve with cream cheese glaze.

Cream Cheese Glaze
  • 4 oz. softened cream cheese
  • About a 1/2 cup or more powdered sugar
  • About a tsp. vanilla
  • Enough  milk to make the consistency of the glaze thick but pourable

1. Beat cream cheese until soft and then add in powdered sugar to desired sweetness. Add in milk a little at a time until desired consistency is reached. Add vanilla, mix, then serve with hot waffles.

23 comments:

  1. And who doesn't want red velvet cake for breakfast? Your waffles looks really good and I am glad they turned out! Happy birthday Jihane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those waffles certainly would start any day off right! I love red velvet cake,and the thought of red velvet waffles puts a smile on my face. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! You must share the recipe for the cake! It's looks and sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! That is so unique...

    www.cancerinthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I just fell in love with you. I want to wake up to those waffles every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Yummy - cream cheese glaze!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy, Happy Birthday! The waffles look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday!! I love your waffles. Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Belated Birthday!

    The red velvet waffles with cream cheese glaze is absolute genius! I have to try this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this love this love this !

    http://urbangeek.me

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy late birthday and that cake looks incredible but so does the waffles. I love that they are red velvet. So creative and delicious! I am with the others, we need the recipe for the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH my. I love Red Velvet anything and these look to die for. Happy Belated Birthday! Found your blog on Barefoot in the Kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the birthday wishes you guys! =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very Happy Birthday to you....
    These waffles looks delicious...
    Also the cake is absolutely divine....
    Wishing you a life full of happiness health and wealth...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy belated Birthday girl!!!!! Are you kidding me? Red Velvet Waffles!!!! Im in LOVE!!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh. My. Gosh. I'm not sure I could handle these for breakfast, but for a dessert, I would be in HEAVEN. They look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy belated Birthday! Your cake looks delicious! My husband loves red velvet cake. I'll have to surprise him one day and make your waffle recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Red velvet waffles! Oh my goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday!!

    Red Velvet waffles...seriously...Wow! I just pinned this on Pinterest so I don't forget it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, I randomly found your blog and have gone through all of your posts. I'm so hungry now! Everything looks delicious :) Keep up the great work! :)
    Love from Norway

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Birthday! Those red waffles are so unusual! It's hard to make waffles stand out, but you did it :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks again for all the birthday wishes, everyone! :)

    And thanks so much Wanja! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy birthday! And both deserts look amazing!

    ReplyDelete