Sunday, September 11, 2011

challah bread



So, I made challah.

Holla!

Yea, it was kinda cool.

Like, the yeast bubbling up and stuff and then the dough rising and then me having to punch it down? I enjoyed it immensely.

When it was finally ready and I sliced into it I 'm not going to lie, at first I was pretty disappointed.  :\

In my mind I thought I would be slicing into challah that was really sweet and yellow inside; kind of like the ones I get at the supermarket bakery. When I sliced into my challah, it was white inside and had only a bit of sweetness.

After further investigation, I found out that I had made traditional challah. The stuff that I get at the supermarket is dyed yellow, has a ton of extra butter and eggs added to it, and is generally inauthentic.

Word?


I was kind of shocked when I found that out. In any event, after my discovery was made I enjoyed my challah 1000x more.

It is super soft and very tender and tastes great alone or slathered with butter or other spreads.I ate my piece(s) with apple butter smeared on top of salted butter. YUM.

I used this recipe, but next time I make it I'll  probably look for another one that calls for butter instead of oil and a bit more sugar or honey.

So, that's my challah story. It is absolutely not difficult to make and I'll probably make it over and over again.

Holla!   :)
For recipe and how to braid challah, go HERE.




22 comments:

  1. It looks beautiful! Also the sight of foaming bubbly yeast and rising bread are beautiful sights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great. Making bread is on my list of things to do but I keep putting it off because I feel intimidated. But I will do it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love homemade bread and your braid challah loves delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yum! that looks so delicious and you did an amazing job on the braid! i've never made homemade bread but i want to ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks so delicious. i'm a carb a holic.

    ps. i gave you an award today on my blog in case you're interested. i realize that a lot of blogs are award free so please don't feel obligated to pass it on.

    http://bet1975.blogspot.com/2011/09/awe-thanks-guys-you-shouldnt-have.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Faith and @ASingleMothers Jounrey---I was scared to, but I promise it's so easy! You can do it! :)

    To everyone else--my blog was hacked and my pretty challah picture was deleted! I'm going to have to post it back up when I get home... boo to mean people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks amazingly soft! Send me a slice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting, glad to know we are not getting the "real" stuff in the store. Kinda makes me wonder what other types of breads are "real" they we get so used to eating. It looks great though and I would take you version over the other any day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks beautiful and delicious! You've made me want to give it a try...especially for the buttah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your braid looks amazing! I love Americanized Challah bread too. It makes fantastic French Toast.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You.
    Go.
    Girl.
    Challah is on my to-do list! You make it look great!! :) Thanks for inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like some kinda delicious to me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This bread I can just about smell! That butter melting on the top, ... YUMMY!!! Thanks so much for sharing.
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so pretty!!! I love braided pastries, will definitely try this out... love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Challah HOLLA! lol Love it! This bread is gorgeous! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now that I have conquered my fear of yeast I may have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am a bread lover and I am so gonna want to try this recipe. Your challah brread looks so inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH This Challah looks perfect,
    Perfectly braided....
    Great Job....
    Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Homemade bread is perfect for the cooler weather that just came in last night. I love the way it makes the whole house smell delicious! Your challah is gorgeous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOw, you make that look so easy. I've always wanted to attempt it, but too chicken. I think this is going on my to-do list. Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous job! You make it sound so easy and I always found this to be intimidating.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow the bread came out perfect!

    http://jtomasfashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete