Monday, July 4, 2011

4th of july flag cake




Hey friends! Happy Fourth of July!!!

I absolutely love the 4th because it’s always a great time to see friends, eat good food and just have fun  going from cookout to cookout.

It’s awesome!

I have been DYING to make this cake ever since I saw it on Elissa’s blog about 2 years ago.

It was seriously one of the coolest cakes that I had seen in a long time and I wanted to give it a try.

I’m actually taking it to a BBQ this afternoon, so whoops---I already sliced into it to get a picture.

LOL! So ghetto. They’re my friends so they’ll understand…I hope. ;)


As you can see, my cake is kinda jacked, no?

I am the worst at torting cakes which causes my layers to always be uneven.

That makes me sad.  I want to take cake decorating classes.

My mom of course would frown upon that. I can already hear her now: "Why do you Americans need to take a class to learn how to do everything!"

Don't ask--she is who she is. I whole-heatedly embrace my Americanism.

The cake itself is delicious. I simply used a white cake mix and added lemon zest and lemon extract to the batter. I then iced it with a lemon cream cheese icing.

So good! (I planned to slide the cut slice back into the cake, but I ended up eating it. That’s how I know it’s good.)

Well that’s the story of this cake. It was pretty fun to make and I will definitely try it again next year!

I hope you all enjoy the holiday with your loved ones--if anybody has tips on helping me help myself torte a cake, please feel free to school me. 
:)


Lemon Cake
  • 1 box of white cake mix and all other necessary add ins
  • 1 tablespoon lemon extract
  • 1 tablespoon lemon zest

    1. Bake the cakes as you normally would---you will need 3 layers of red, white, and blue.

    2. Now for the rest of the directions, I will direct you over to Elissa's blog. She explains it better.

Lemon Cream Cheese Icing
  • 1/2 cup of butter, softened
  • 8 oz of cream cheese, softened
  • 2 cups of powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons lemon zest

    1. In a bowl, mix butter, cream cheese, and lemon juice until fluffy--about 3 minutes.

    2. Add  sugar one cup at a time and then lemon zest. Use it to ice whatever you'd like!



23 comments:

  1. You did a beautiful job with this cake. I'm sure it will be a big hit at your cookout. Have a great 4th. And, if you get a chance, stop by and share your recipe on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/07/sweet-indulgences-sunday-11.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. All cute + it's lemon with lemon cream cheese frosting! What's not to love...your friends will be impressed!

    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I love lemon cake and the frosting sounds divine...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cake looks fabulous! well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this cake! Hope you're having a great holiday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks amazing!!!! Wow!!! You know at Michael's they sell Wilton Cake Tools that help you slice through the middle of a cake evenly. You set the wire at the height you wish and gently drag the wire through it. I use a large pancake flipped to list the pieces apart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You rock! It looks lovely to me! I'm jealous for those who were there to partake!
    Happy 4th! ;0D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cake turned out lovely and much better than I would have been able to do! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks pretty gorgeous to me. Not uneven or anything. And very ambitious and adorable too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a fabulous cake.I can see why you wanted to make it. It looks festive and delicious.I hope you had a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! You are amazing... It looks so much work but I think the final product is SO WORTH IT! It's fabulous! Great job Jihane!

    ReplyDelete
  12. AMAZING! I ate the rest for breakfast today :-D

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is too, too cute! I love. And I loved your pun:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. girl that cake is awesome! So impressed, and i bet or I know it taste even better than it looks! Great job

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Flag Cake looks awesome! Mine ended up on a heap on the sidewalk thanks to me tripping over my own two feet. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love this!!! wish i had seen this before the 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think your cake looks fantastic ... so patriotic and yummy! I wish I had a slice. It is hard to find cute treats that actually taste good too. You nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is one super cool cake~! You did an amazing job!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh! This is just too cool looking!!!! I'll take lemon over chocolate any day and you have done this cake perfectly. It's a must try. I'm new here and will really like following your blog so I'll be looking around now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Omg this is the CUTEST cake I've ever seen!! I will have to give it a try next year.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such a beautiful cake! I wish there was another patriotic holiday coming up so I had an excuse to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can see why you have been wanting to make this cake-it is absolutely delightful. Perfect for the holiday weekend.

    Happy belated 4th to you!

    Velva

    ReplyDelete